How to Pick the Right Handyman Repair Service near Spencerville Maryland
Hiring a handyman in Spencerville MD can be an affordable alternative to doing various home repair or improvement projects yourself that you have been avoiding. With multiple family and work responsibilities, it can often be difficult to work on your list of home repairs, which can have a negative impact on home maintenance. A handyman is usually less expensive than licensed contractors who specialize in one area exclusively, such as plumbers or electricians. And with their extensive and broad experience, they can help you avoid making mistakes when installing a washing machine, replacing a garbage disposal, or putting in a new tile floor yourself. There is nothing more frustrating than having to hire someone to re-do the job after you have done it very badly. Also, it can end up being more expensive than if you had hired a professional to begin with. So, if you are considering doing some home renovations or fixing something in the house that needs repair, consider the benefits of hiring a professional handyman instead.
Why Hire a Handyman Instead?
Sometimes it is best to leave it to the experts when considering home maintenance or repair. A qualified and experienced Spencerville MD handyman can not only get the job done fast but do it right the first time, saving you frustration and time for other obligations. But what are the benefits of hiring a handyman compared to other options. Let’s take a look at some of the main reasons that it makes sense to utilize handyman services for your next home project.
- Charge by the hour. Most handymen in Spencerville MD charge by the hour and not by the job. This means that you only pay for the time spent doing actual work and not pre-set service charges plus additional costs that could far exceed what a handyman charges. They also tend to have lower overhead and no employees, so they can charge less than a typical plumber or electrician.
- Can handle several projects. Perhaps you have a faucet that needs replacing, an outlet that needs to be changed out, and a bedroom that needs to be painted. Instead of trying to find and coordinate with a reliable Spencerville MD plumber, electrician and painter, an experienced handyman can handle all of those projects.
- Save money on materials. When you hire a contractor, generally they supply the materials at a mark-up. When working with a handyman, you supply the materials, saving you money. And often an experienced handyman has connections that they have established with Spencerville MD vendors offering them discounts that they can pass on to their customers.
- The Go-To person for all home repair projects. The great thing about having the phone number for an experienced Spencerville MD professional handyman is that you don’t have to think about who to call when the toilet leaks or the ceiling fan stops working. You just call your guy (or gal) and they come over and take care of the problem. And if the job is a little more involved than they can handle, they can usually recommend a “specialist” to take care of your more advanced plumbing, electrical or HVAC needs.
Steps to Hiring a Handyman
Being comfortable with and having confidence in your Spencerville MD handyman is extremely important, especially since they are working in your home. The last thing that you want to do is hire someone who does not have the skills required to complete the project or that will charge you more than the agreed upon price. So be sure to do your due diligence and follow these hiring guidelines when selecting and hiring your handyman.
- Interview several prospects. As the song goes, you better shop around. Be sure to speak with 3 or 4 candidates before making a selection. Referral services, such as the one recommended on this website, can do the groundwork for you by providing pre-screened Spencerville MD handymen. Be sure to ask about their experience, areas of expertise and rates.
- Clearly define the project. Make sure your prospective handyman understands the scope and all details of the project. It is important to make sure that it is within the range of his or her expertise and experience and not more appropriate for a licensed Spencerville MD contractor.
- Ask for references. Get references from recent Spencerville MD customers who have used the handyman’s services, for similar projects if available. Ask if they were completely satisfied with the work performed as well as the cost of services. Also ask if they would hire the handyman again for future projects.
- Get Agreement and Guarantee in writing. Make sure the terms are spelled out in writing, to include all fees involved and any guarantees for workmanship. Since you are paying by the hour it is not as critical to get the exact project cost up front, especially for small jobs. But there needs to be a formal understanding regarding hourly rate and if the Spencerville MD handyman stands behind his work. And for longer projects, a start and completion date, along with estimated billed hours should be spelled out in writing before work begins.
Looking for a Handyman in Spencerville MD?
If you live in the Spencerville Maryland area and are looking for a reliable and affordable handyman, following is some information about your hometown that you may find interesting and useful.
Maryland Route 650
Maryland Route 650 (MD 650) is a state highway in the U.S. state of Maryland. Known as New Hampshire Avenue for most of its length, the state highway runs 25.89 mi (41.67 km) from Eastern Avenue at the Washington, D.C. border north to MD 108 in Etchison. MD 650 serves as a major north-south commuter route in northwestern Prince George's County and eastern Montgomery County, connecting the District of Columbia with the residential suburbs of Takoma Park, Langley Park, Maryland, Adelphi, Hillandale, White Oak, and Colesville. By contrast, the part of MD 650 north of Spencerville is a quiet rural road connecting several small communities along the northeastern fringe of Montgomery County.
MD 650 was originally built between Takoma Park and Adelphi in the late 1930s as an extension of New Hampshire Avenue out of Washington. In the 1950s, the state highway was extended north, taking over portions of MD 320 and U.S. Route 29 (US 29) and all of MD 116. Beginning in the 1950s and continuing through the 1990s, MD 650 has been expanded to a multi-lane divided highway in stages from its southern terminus north to Spencerville.
MD 650 begins at Eastern Avenue on the border of Washington, D.C.. New Hampshire Avenue continues south into the District of Columbia. MD 650 heads northeast as a six-lane divided highway with a speed limit of 35 mph (56 km/h) lined with shopping centers. The state highway straddles the border between Prince George's County on the east and Montgomery County on the west, as well as the eastern border of the city of Takoma Park. MD 650 intersects Poplar Avenue and Ray Road, which were formerly MD 204, before the present state highway meets MD 410, which heads west as Ethan Allen Avenue and east as East–West Highway. After crossing MD 410, MD 650 fully enters both Takoma Park and Montgomery County. The state highway heads into a forested area with some residences, where it intersects Sligo Creek Parkway and the Sligo Creek Trail on a bridge crossing Sligo Creek. MD 650 continues into an area of apartment buildings and single family residences, then passes between a couple of shopping centers before intersecting MD 193 (University Boulevard) in Langley Park.
Handy Man Service, the Right Choice For You?
We all have home repair or replacement projects that we keep putting off that a qualified Spencerville MD handyman could take care of quickly and at a cost that is very reasonable and affordable. You originally came to our website because you had an interest in Handy Man Service. So you no doubt agree that its more cost effective to have the project done once and right the first time by hiring a seasoned pro. Many handymen are skilled in several areas such as:
- Door repair and installation
- Drywall repair and installation
- Painting and Plastering
- Window repair or replacement
- Minor plumbing or electrical services
- Carpentry or Roof repair
- Flooring installation and repair
- Any general home repair, replacement or improvement
So what are you waiting for? Take care of your “Honey Do” list and request free estimates from some of the top rated handymen in your area. There is no cost or obligation to be connected with professionals who will compete for your business. So request your free proposals and take care of those home repair projects now!
More Handy Locations in Maryland